Monday, December 15, 2008

an intro

so for those of you who may not know, I'm a nanny-- amongst other things--- but those other things get put off sometimes because the boys take up an unreal amount of time. I was joking with a friend that I'm a part-time single mom; which I sometimes I really start to feel (of every week day, 12 hours are spent getting to/being at/leaving the boys' home).


But of course I am not in fact anything like a mom (as Robbie once told me, "You're not my real boss")-- I am not feeding, sheltering, schooling, playing with, or dressing the boys as I would my own sons-- instead I'm trying to mimic (to a degree) what their parents find acceptable.


The big kicker is then, that these little people are constantly on my mind, invariably needing a new way to be entertained, ready to test my ever expanding patience, frequently my responsibility, a source of quasi-parenting knowledge, constantly mistaken to be my little people- but are not.


And because they are all those things, and not that one thing, my job impacts me in a personal way that past jobs have not...

No comments:

Post a Comment